In the MICE - Creating Blocks (Group Bookings) article you saw how you can create hotel room blocks for Events that require accommodation as well or simply for large group requests. In this article you will see how those block can be converted into actual bookings.
Converting a block through the Event page
The quickest and easiest way to convert blocks to bookings is through the Event page itself. Simply navigate to the Event page and press the button '+Book' in the 'Bookings section'. You will see a list with your room types and the blocks. Select the block from which you want to convert a booking and proceed to finalize the reservation as normal.
Tip: You can use the 'Create multiple' button in the booking to create several bookings allocated to the block.
Note: All available information is transferred to the booking. In the clip above, you see that dates, rate, manual price, # of people, company profile, event and allocated block are all automatically populated. This applies also when converting through the Rate and availability or when guests convert themselves.
Converting a block through the Rate and Availability screen
Another option through which you can easily create bookings is through the Rate and Availability screen, menu Availability-> Rate and Availability. Enter the dates of the event, # of adults and children. You have two options to locate the block:
- select the 'Company' profile that is organizing the event. When selected, in the 'Block' field you will see the respective blocks and select the one which you want to convert
- enter a block code. This can be especially beneficial if you've distributed the block codes to the organizer/guests and they call in to finalize their booking.
Once you 'Check availability' the system will present to you the respective room type/rate combination derived from the selected Block or the entered Block code and you can proceed to create the booking as usual.
Note: The number of 'Free' rooms (2 Free in the screenshot above) indicates the remaining blocks, not the availability of the room type. Furthermore, the system will show the rate as compatible if the period of your search is within the period of the event. If your search has at least 1 night outside the event period, the system will show the rates as not compatible.
Important: When converting blocks into bookings through the Event page and/or the Rate and Availability screen, the system automatically allocates the booking to the Company->Event->Block in order to properly deplete the block. This is done through the Company/Event field in the booking.
Generally, you should not change anything in that field, because otherwise you risk:
- creating a booking allocated to the Event, but not part of a block. In this case, this booking will not deplete any blocks and will be an 'extra' booking for the event in addition to the already blocked rooms.
- creating a booking for one room type, but depleting a block for another.
Organizers/guests booking themselves through the BookDirect (WRS)
Another option for converting blocks to bookings only partially involves you and that is the option for guests to book themselves from the block through the BookDirect (WRS). Simply have a rate allocated to a block and a block code attached and provide the codes to the organizer/guests. They can then use the codes to book their room.
The booker will only see the room type/rate combination that is attached to the block code they have entered. Furthermore, if the booker searches for a period that has at least 1 night outside of the event/block period, the rate will not be offered for booking.
Example use cases of block codes:
- an event with room blocks for which the organizer or guests can book the rooms through the WRS
- a large group booking for which you have used room blocks to reserve rooms. The organizer or guests can book the rooms through the WRS, eliminating the need for constant emails, ever-changing rooming lists, and manual creation of bookings by yourself.
- you work with companies or tour operators for which you have strict allotments and have used room blocks to reserve the units. Using block code/s, the company/TO can book rooms from their allotment themselves through the WRS.